Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Are You Taking Good or Bad Carbs?

BY Nancy Janiola IN , No comments

Most of people I know who are on diet are basically conscious with their carbohydrates intake. When I was in Cebu, I usually take a van for hire when I have to go to the city. One day, an obviously on-a- diet 'fleshy' lady beside me at the front seat took out a pack of crackers and munch it while we are on our way. Perhaps the kind of look I threw at her gave her a hint of what was at the back of my mind and voluntarily told me along that she was indeed on a diet before I could even say a word, LOL!

It wasn't the first time for me to see dieters who only consider taking crackers as their first meal of the day infact, I have known quite a few... including myself. Yes, I tried this too before but it never really help because I can be very undetermined too sometimes. Did I feel bad about it? Yes, somehow... but now no more after what I have just learned about the bottom line of the whole thing...

Choosing good ones instead of taking the wrong or no carbs at all! Are crackers good carbs? Hmm... let's see!

CATEGORIZATION OF CARBOHYDRATES

A. Very Good Carbohydrates

  • Aspargus, brocolli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, green beans, greens, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, palm hearts, green peppers, red peppers, spinanch, tomatoes, turnips, watercress and zucchini.

B. Good Carbohydrates

  • Kidney beans and red beans (both rich in protein), apples, appricots, beans, beets, blueberries, cantaloupe, carrots, grapefruit, kiwi, lemons, lime, onions, oranges, peaches, pears, green peas, pineapple, prunes, raspberries, stawberries and water melon.

C. Medium Carbohydrates

  • Bananas, bean sprouts, whole wheat bread, cherries, whole dark chocolate, cocoa, corn, grapes, muffin, baked potatoes, steamed potatoes and whole grain rice.

D. Bad Carbohydrates

  • Cake, candy, caramel, cornflakes, crackers, croissant, honey, jam, milk, pancakes, pasta, pastry, pie, fried potatoes and potato chips.

From here I have learned that seeking for advice is still important and of great help all along, especiallyin deciding for important things in life.

0 comments: